Media training course outline
This media training course is intended for senior executives who will represent their company in media interviews and at press conferences.
Delivered over a half or full day, the media training course includes a brief introduction to media theory and practical strategies for handling interviews with print and electronic media. It includes:
- An introduction to print, electronic and social media
- Journalists: Who are they?
- Interview preparations
- Organizing and delivering your message
- Handling tough questions
- Reporters’ tricks and traps
- Techniques for TV, radio, telephone and Zoom interviews
- Dressing for TV and videoconferences
- Using social media
The the media training course is delivered using:
- Examples of successful and unsuccessful interviews
- Discussions of participants’ experiences and expectations
- A lecture and PowerPoint presentation
- Question-and-answer sessions
- Interview simulations, which are recorded and critiqued in real time
Before the media training course, detailed interview scenarios are researched and prepared. The scenarios are based on the real-world issues participants will face and are used in the interview simulations. At the end of the media training course, trainees receive a copy of the interview simulations, a handout covering the main concepts discussed in the course, and an evaluation form.
A briefing session is held before the media training course to discuss the issues and types of interviews the participants will face and the corporate messages they must deliver. This data is used to prepare the interview scenarios and customize the training presentation.
Sample training schedule
08:30–09:00 Equipment set up
09:00–09:15 Welcome; review of effective and ineffective interviews; discussion
09:15–10:30 Interview Essentials presentation
10:45–11:25 First round of interview simulations and critiques
11:25–12:05 Second round of interview simulations and critiques
12:05–12:45 Third round of interview simulations and critiques
12:45–13:00 Summary and Q&A
13:00 Workshop ends