There’s a word for it

September 12, 2006 — If you’ve ever opened a web page and seen gibberish where you were expecting text, here’s the word for it: mojibake.

Wikipedia describes mojibake, which is a loan word from Japanese, as “the phenomenon of incorrect, unreadable characters shown when computer software fails to render a text correctly according to its associated character encoding.”